Adjustments to Being Five






Isaac is 4 weeks old today, a fact I can hardly believe. As a whole, we've all adjusted very well to what I feared could have been quite rough. Granted, we've only just begun a year full of changes, but so far adjusting to 3 kids has been much easier than going from 1 to 2.

Some examples of our success: Isaac is already up to 10 pounds. Might we actually end up with a normal-sized kid? Nursing has finally become easy, and we haven't had to supplement with formula or use a pacifier at all. Perhaps that's why he's 10 pounds! Anya and Ethan haven't shown any sign of jealousy or frustration with their brother, despite how much of my time he takes up. Ethan insists on giving him a morning kiss, a lunch-time kiss, a "nursing-time" kiss, and on and on. We are getting enough sleep to be functional and pleasant (most of the time!), despite the fact that 8 hours of broken sleep are DEFINATELY not the same as 8 straight hours. Probably not even the same as 6 stright hours, if you ask me!

The kids have made some great observations, as only kids can do. Here are some of our favorites:

1. The day Isaac was born, Ethan found a pink infant's hat on the hospital floor. He asked if we could bring it home for his baby sister. When reminded that he doesn't have a baby sister, he said with a smirk, "Not yet, I don't".
2. When Anya was asked what her first thoughts about Isaac were, she said, "Wow. He has a banana-head"
3. When asked how he liked being a big brother, Ethan said, "It's great. I'm almost going to be 29 years old now" (Why 29???)
4. One day when Ethan was running crazy, I asked him if Isaac was going to be as wild as he is. Ethan laughed and said, "No, he's just going to eat, sleep, and poop right now. But when he gets older, he'll watch me and learn!" Oh joy!!!

All in all, though there have been tears and moments of being overwhelmed, we're doing great, having fun, and are all totally in love with our new family.

Comments

  1. Miriam,
    Your baby is beautiful! Hope everything is well. You have a wonderful family. We moved to a bigger house in Yakima and I love it. Phil is going to West Valley Jr high and he is adjusting well. Nick is staying at East Valley. Also, it is in the budget to close Yakima Valley School. I hope it doesn't for the sake of the residents. I am sure it would be a difficult move for them. Maybe I will start a McCray blog. I will let you know when I do. Miss you. Colleen McCray

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment