Update

Life goes on with predictable unpredictability. Omara has hit 4 months, smiles like crazy, laughs every now and then, and has rolled over once. She loves her maize cereal, though I'm not sure how much actually makes it down her throat. She has entirely rejected the pacifier (yeah!) in exchange for her thumb--whoops. I sucked my thumb until I was in 4th grade, and I thought I might actually escape having a thumb-sucker myself! That appears not to be the case. I think it's why she sleeps through the night though, and to be honest, I'll take the fight to wean her from the thumb in 3 or 4 years over exhaustion right now!

Chad's done with his quarter and has a whole 4 weeks off. In that time he is going to an evangelism community outreach weekend in a village up north (it'll be great but no vacation!) and a week-long mission meeting, as well as reading up to prepare his lectures for next term (Revelations!!! Yikes!)

The clinic is going fine--we had a 9-yr old girl die of malaria on Thursday. They got to the clinic after it closed on Wednesday, so they just decided to come back Thursday morning. She slipped into a coma and died about 45 minutes after getting to us. I will never get used to all this death. I also spent 2 full afternoons in the clinic last week chasing my own kids around while baby Miriam was seen (frantic call that the baby was "hot" and "won't eat" turned out to be a bout of colic...whew!) and while the nanny's sister (who is covering for her maternity leave) was having a miscarriage. I know it was the right thing to do, to help them with medical care, but let me tell you...the right thing does NOT mean the easy thing! I would have helped them at the hospital instead, except none of the nurses or docs have been paid for 3 months, so they're starting to go on strike. Hmmmm.

I have a poster-presentation to do on our ministry team for Theological Education this week, and then next week I'm in the clinic in the am and teaching a class on health to the students' wives in the afternoon, and then we go to the mission meeting. It'll be April before I know it, and then volunteers start coming. I'm so excited about them, but I'm also frantically doing all the logistics to get ready for them. It's a lot!!! We're pretty booked all summer, with someone here from the first week of May until the 3rd week of August (seriously!) but if anyone is interested, next year is wide open, and I'll be even better at it by then! =)

Comments