A few of my favorite things

The best things about being in South Africa for a breather:

1. Fruit and yogurt!!! My fridge is packed with nectarines, peaches, apples, grapes, and Isaac devours a bowl of yogurt and granola every morning like it’s the best thing he’s ever eaten! We can get some things in Lilongwe, but not as easily or cheaply as here. I love it! (Lest you get the wrong idea about me, I’m loving the chocolate that’s readily available too!)
2. Using debit cards. No longer do I have to fret over making sure I have enough cash to check-out of the grocery store without an eye-roll of the cashier for having to take items back out of my cart! I can just run the plastic and it pays for whatever I wanted to buy…dangerous, but oh so lovely!
3. McDonalds McFlurrys. I am not much of a fast-food junkie, and we rarely went in the US. But I can’t tell you how amazing it is to run through a drive-through after our weekly doctors’ appointment, buy lunch for ourselves and the kids, and get a McFlurry (Oreo, most definitely)to treat ourselves for surviving another week. Those calories have never tasted so good!
4. Grass. You can’t quite comprehend the dirt that is all over Lilongwe until you witness it yourself, but I promise you that it’s red, it’s everywhere, and it’s impossible to get out of clothing. People intentionally sweep to prevent grass from growing, though I have yet to figure out why. But here, grass actually is allowed to grow, so dirt is kept on the ground! Our apartment isn’t dusty, our clothes aren’t stained, and Isaac only needs one bath each day!
5. Internet. I know a lot of people complain about the internet here being slow, and I suppose there are places where it’s even better. But coming from Lilongwe where I can spend 2 hours trying to send reimbursement receipts by e-mail to our home office and still not be successful, I’m in internet heaven. I can upload photos, update the blog, even look at Facebook—something I haven’t done since my last visit to Joburg in June!

So they may be small things, and taken for granted in most places, but I tell you. It’s the small things that can seem to make it or break it when life gets crazy. So right now, I’m just feeling like Isaac, going in a glass elevator for the first time and squealing with delight over the ride!

Comments