Porcine etymology

We had the lecture on Culture Shock and transition on Friday. A lot of it was familiar, since Chad and I both remember well the adjustment back to the US in college. But they warned us that we had likely gone through some degree of culture shock in adjusting to orientation. That made me think back. Hmmmmm. Is that why I wanted to stay in our small apartment for the first couple days, rather than venture out to meet new people? Is that why I can't drop the baby weight? Must be!!!!

It also made me think about the kids. They've done SO well adjusting, but there have been minor bumps in the road now and then. Perhaps they did go through a minor culture shock. Trouble falling asleep. Increased shyness and independent playing. Unusual questions...wait. That isn't part of culture shock, is it? Well, it wasn't part of the lecture, but let me share one event, and you be the judge. As Ethan was struggling to go to bed a few weeks ago, he looked up at me with big green eyes filled with tears. With all sympathy, I asked, "Honey, what's wrong?". The tears spilled over, and he sobbed in the most plaintive voice ever, "But mom, why do they call pigs 'pigs'????"

I honestly don't know why pigs are called pigs. If anyone has an answer, I'd love to pass it on to my poor troubled son. In the mean time, I think I'll read an article on helping kids adjust to culture shock.

Comments