Christian Community

When we realized we'd be at FPO with Isaac as an infant, I was quite upset. I knew how hard it would be. I comforted myself by saying (almost daily) "Well, Miriam. At least you won't have to cook" and "I'm sure there will be lots of people willing to help". It calmed my spirit, but I don't know how much I believed myself. Plus, I'm not good at asking for help.

There is no doubt having kids makes this process harder. I sometimes look with envy at the couples enjoying their time, being carefree and socializing with others, and then us parents are tired-looking, with no energy left for socializing after the kids fall asleep. But it turns out I was right about people wanting to help out! This place is amazing.

Yesterday during dinner, one new friend insisted on holding Isaac while we ate. When she had to leave before we were done, another woman we hadn't even officially met yet came over and asked if she could hold him for us. We sat and visited for half-an-hour after we were done eating, Isaac content in her arms and us enjoying the respite. Then today, our quad-mates announced they were going to be the grandparents for the day, and they set up play-dough and cookie making stations. For 2 hours, they braved the 6 kids ranging in age from 8 weeks to 10 years and gave us parents time to do whatever we needed (Chad played Ultimate Frisbee with the guys...I'm on the computer!) What a blessing!!! And this is happening all over the 'campus'. There's a committee for "Children's Ministry" and they hold an open gym for 1.5 hours twice a week where kids can be dropped off to play. There's a sign-up sheet where anyone available for babysitting writes their numbers down to help out the parents when needed. Everywhere around us, people are meeting each others' needs.

And isn't that what Christian Community is supposed to be about? We're studying Acts right now, and it says so many times that the believers took care of one another as needs arose. It's an amazing experience to be on the receiving end of that, and to be part of the giving of blessings as well. It's making this 8 weeks even richer, and inspiring me to be alert for ways I can bless others. After all, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35

Comments