Birth Plans







On Wednesday, Dec 10th I had an appointment with my midwife. I was exactly 38 weeks, and growing more anxious to deliver by the day (reference the last entry!). She informed me I had a "favorable cervix" (do you say 'Thank you' to that?) and asked me about my birth plan. Whoops. I had filled it out, noting all my preferences: yes to the whirlpool bath, birthing ball, walking around as much as possible, and no to pain meds. But I had forgotten it at home. No problem, she said. Bring it next week, or if you go into labor, bring it to the hospital.
Fast-forward to the next day, Dec 11th. I woke up at 5am, and Chad asked about the contractions. What contractions? Oh, I just have a feeling today's the day, he says. Whatever. I finally fell back asleep. At 8:55am I had a very strange sensation...cramping and pain, and it went on and on for over 2 1/2 minutes. Not so much fun, but then nothing else. I got ready for the day, ate breakfast, and kept having very irregular but very uncomfortable cramping. Nothing like I felt with Ethan's labor where each one was clear and regular and easily timed with normal progression. I was not convinced it was anything, and Chad starts talking about going to the hospital already! But gradually, the pain took over the fear of being laughed at when we went to check in and I told them I'd only felt contractions for an hour. We piled in the car, and suddenly, with sitting upright and not being able to move, things really...started to move! Contractions were right on top of each other, and never fully let up before the next one started. And it was 45 minutes to the birth center, full of red lights and slow moving vehicles! Poor Chad got pinched more than once (yes, love...it DOES make it feel better!). By the time we drove into the parking lot, I was seriously considering how it might work to deliver in the front seat of a Honda Insight!

A very kind doctor visiting with the nurses rescued me from the well-intentioned unit clerk who wanted me to fill out paperwork, and she got me back to a room pronto (something about the look on my face, she said). Well, what do you know. 9 cm and fully effaced!!!! Two more contractions, and I was complete! She got called out for another emergency just as my midwife arrived, and within 10 minutes, I was holding Isaac Allen Pumpelly!!! I had been at the hospital for 20 minutes!

Isaac was a little stunned from the rapid transit and needed two brief assisted breaths, but then he pinked up and had no more problems (other than a banana-head!). I was likewise 'stunned,' started bleeding again, lost about 700cc of blood, and needed extra meds to get things contracting properly, but everyone remained calm and had no further problems either. As soon as everyone was stable and we were laughing about the excitement I'd just given everyone, my midwife asked, 'So, did you bring that birth plan???' Ah, isn't that like life? It just has a way of happening, regardless of our plans. I'm awfully glad I know Who is directing my ways!


So here we are, after 3 wild hours, a family of 5. As we were leaving for the hospital, Anya said, "But I'm just not sure I'm ready to be a big sister again!" I know the feeling, girl. But everyone's adjusting very well, and last I heard sleep deprivation hasn't actually killed anyone. Plus, we have 6 weeks to get used to each other before Orientation starts. God is good and our family is blessed!

Comments