27 DVDs, a lawnmower, and cloth diapers -check

Miriam loves checking things off the list and that is what we have been doing for--ever! But the shopping, packing and crating are nearing an end. My Dad comes Monday to help me build the two crates (87x87x45 each). We hope to pack them by Thursday next week. We calculated and planed exactly what must or should go with us, but in the end it feels a little random:

Two kids' bikes -check; Anya and Ethan will be so happy to see them next October.

One washer, one dryer, one refrigerator-check; appliances make life so much easier. I thank God for placing our family where both pluming and electricity are available.

That reminds me, a lawnmower -check; I bought one of those push mowers (no gas or oil required). It's better on the environment, better on the budget, easier to fit in the crate, but a little harder to use--hope I don't come to regret that decision.

20 boxes of books -check; now this might seem a little excessive, but a teaching missionary's tools are his books: Old Testament, New Testament, Theology, Evangelism, Discipleship, Prayer, History books, books about all that pastoral stuff and probably two or three books I'll never open, but it is so hard to know which ones they are, so I packed them just-in-case.

Clothes for the kids, our clothes, baby stuff -check; they are all packed away in the refrigerator, oven, dryer-- the face soap and shampoo are packed in the washer. Great, if there is a leak, we just have to do a rinse cycle--good thinking.

Two recliners -awesome; next October, when we are all done unpacking the crates, I can put my feet up and relax.

Reclining, that will feel over due. Once we seal the crates and ship them off we will have 11 straight months of transition:
saying goodbye to school, church, friends, and family,
the holidays, a newborn,
8 weeks of orientation in Richmond, VA,
flying across the world,
making new friends, finding a new church, a new school,
40 days and 40 nights of orientation in Zambia (this includes remote village living),
Learning a new language, Chichewa!
But what a blessing: at the end of it, Miriam and I will put our feet up and recline, and maybe watch one of those 27 DVDs I bought on E-bay during one maniacal shopping spree!

Comments

Post a Comment