Yakima Fall













In some ways I know that every time we put the kids to bed, we're one day closer to being in Malawi. But most of the time, I just feel like we're in an endless doggy-paddle contest, with no end in sight. One of the ways we're dealing with that is by packing a few boxes each day (thus the 25 boxes piled up in every corner, threatening to entirely take over our only living space in this apartment!) The other way we're coping is by trying to be more intentional about enjoying the small things that life in the US offers...the things that will soon be only memories. Fall is a great time for that, since there is no fall in Africa! So 2 weeks ago we spent the day hand-pressing our own apple cider from apples we picked from the trees. I'm quite sure nothing in this world tastes better, and as proof, the 4 gallons we brought home are gone already. Today we braved the wild world of the Pumpkin Patch/Corn Maze and enjoyed home-made pumpkin donuts and more hand-pressed cider out on another farm. The kids loved the maze, though Miriam was the only one actually lost in it, we got great photos of rosy cheeks and goofy grins, and those donuts were amazing!!! Next weekend we have it on the 'books' to find a good pile of leaves to play in.

Every crisp morning here in Yakima, every tree turning a shocking red or yellow, every thought about the upcoming Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays spent with precious family...they make me so thankful. And they make me wonder, why do we wait until we have to leave things before we truly start to appreciate them?

Comments

  1. Oh, so true, my friend. I'm glad you're enjoying things now. One of my favorite Jim Elliot quotes is this: "Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every moment you believe to be the will of God." Hey, the man gave good advice.

    I'm praying for y'all and am looking forward to hearing about the new baby and how God uses your family in Malawi! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chad and Miriam, My name is Paul Thompson, I live in Twin Falls, Idaho. I was in Boise this summer during the commissioning service. Thank you for adding me to you update list. I have already been praying for you and now I will be able to pray with intentionality. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miriam and Chad, I love your blog page! Both the thoughts you share and your photos are great and I'm sure those supporting you will enjoy this ongoing relationship. I know we will appreciate hearing this way from you! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment